Panoramic vistas from the apartments at North Shore Towers and Country Club are breathtaking and spectacular. Situated at
the highest point on Long Island and surrounded by an exquisite tree-lined 110 acre golf course, the never-ending views of its surroundings are sights to behold.
To see our typical apartments,
click on this link to open
a PDF document that includes the typical floor plans. ar
HISTORY OF THE COMMUNITIES SURROUNDING NORTH SHORE TOWERS
Lake Success : A Reluctant Host to the United Nations
Now remembered for housing the United Nations after World War II, Lake Success is part of the remnants of the last glacier of the Ice Age. One of the largest "kettle-hole'' lakes on Long Island, it abounded with rumors of an underground channel to Long Island Sound, though geologists dispelled that myth in the mid-19th Century. The Matinecocks, early inhabitants, called the lake Sucut after one of their chiefs, from which Dutch settlers derived the present name.
Turning Points: The area once known as Lakeville was populated by Dutch settlers in the early 1600s and by English immigrants in 1644. In 1790 Queens County Sheriff Uriah Mitchell transported yellow perch from Lake Ronkonkoma to Lake Success in one of the first experiments to stock Long Island lakes with fish. In the late 19th Century, millionaire William K. Vanderbilt II bought $250,000 worth of land around Lake Success for his summer home. The area became a blooming summer resort, so much so that in 1926, residents incorporated as a village to create laws to discourage unwanted tourists. World War II proved a major turning point with the construction of the $40-million Sperry Gyroscope plant in 1941. The plant, employing 20,000 at its peak, became headquarters for the fledgling United Nations in 1946. Lake Success, a reluctant host, was called the ``World's Capital.'' After the UN moved to Manhattan in 1951, the 1.5-million-square-foot facility had a series of defense industry owners.
Floral Park: Planting Seeds for its Growth
Before Europeans arrived, the area that is now Floral Park marked the western edge of the great Hempstead Plains. Indeed, it was initially known as Plainfield. Until the Civil War, the area consisted of widely scattered farms. The community began to develop in the early 1800s, thanks to the Long Island Rail Road and Jericho Turnpike, both of which came through what had then become known as Hinsdale and served farmers. Hinsdale boasted of more than two dozen fine flower farms in the years after the Civil War.
Turning Points: In the mid-1870s, seed seller John Lewis Childs came to Hinsdale, a growing village centered on its flower farms. With an intent to promote both his own seed company and the village, Childs urged that Hinsdale change its name to Floral Park. Using that name as a return address, Childs set up a thriving mail-order seed business. His business was so successful that the Floral Park post office was built primarily to handle the enormous volume of his mailings. Childs was a civic leader as well, urging the incorporation of the village in 1908 and helping to plan the neat residential areas that remain today. Deed covenants restricted homes to no more than two stories and called for a selling price of at least $3,000, a substantial sum then. Well into the 1920s, Floral Park nurseries provided a blaze of color for riders on the Long Island Rail Road, but the real estate boom of that decade quickly converted the flower fields into residential neighborhoods. The tiny adjacent village of South Floral Park was known at the turn of the century as Jamaica Square, when it was one of the few racially integrated communities on Long Island.
Download our press kit >
Articles about North Shore Towers: